Welcome to BVCOG
The Brazos Valley Council of Governments (BVCOG) is a multi-purpose voluntary organization of, by and for local governments in the seven county Brazos Valley Region of Texas. The BVCOG serves over 315,000 citizens and covers an area of 5,109 square miles. This area, known and referred to as the Brazos Valley Region consists of seven counties, which are Brazos, Burleson, Grimes, Leon, Madison, Robertson and Washington.
- Recent News
Critical Stress Incident Management Course
The Brazos Valley Council of Governments is offering a Critical Incident Stress Management Course (Peer Support/Individual Crisis Intervention) July 13-14, 2015. This course is (13) contact hours.
Cost: $35 which covers the course registration, student, materials, and coffee. Click Here to Pay
Location: Brazos Valley Council of Governments
Min/Max Students: No less than 20 or costs will need to increase to cover expenses. No more than 40 students.
Crisis intervention is NOT psychotherapy; rather it is a specialized acute emergency mental health intervention which requires specialized training. As physical first-aid is to surgery, crisis intervention is to psychotherapy. Thus, crisis intervention is sometimes called “emotional first-aid.” Crisis interventions are typically done individually (one-on-one) or in groups. This program is designed to teach participants the fundamentals of, and a specific protocol for, individual intervention. The audience for this class includes emergency services peer support personnel without formal training in mental health, as well as mental health professionals, who desire to increase their knowledge of individual (one-on-one) crisis intervention techniques.
Please note that this is a two day class. The topics listed below will be covered over the course of two days.
- The concept of CISM as a comprehensive crisis intervention program
- The role of the individual crisis intervention in the comprehensive CISM program
- Terms and concepts relevant to the study of crisis, traumatic stress and crisis intervention
- Differential utilities of selected crisis communication techniques
- Demonstration of selected crisis communication techniques
- Psychological reactions to crisis and trauma
- SAFER protocol for individual crisis intervention and its role in comprehensive CISM
- Demonstration of the us of SAFER protocol for individual crisis intervention
- Review of common problems encountered while working with individuals in crisis
- BVCOG’s cooperative purchasing helps public agencies nationwide increase savings…